3 discussions for 3 courses week4
Confucius wrote of the â€œSuperior Personâ€ in which every normal human being cherishes the aspiration to become superior to their own past and present as they set their sights on “perfect virtue.” When the basic Confucian principles and his notion of ren (pp. 207-208) are guided by virtue, relationships should work a certain way.
At the heart of Daoism philosophy is the concept that the universe works harmoniously according to its own ways and we should be in harmony with the universe. The principle underlying our oneness with the Tao is that of wu-wei, or “non-doing.”
Many in America say we have lost our virtues and we are too chaotic.
1) Identify and explain at least three aspects of wu wei and Confucian virtues that would be practical in the busy lives of Western city dwellers.
2) Then discuss whether you could adopt these practices. Why or why not?
Extra Credit Question (worth up to 5 points depending on the depth and quality of your answer).
Confucius said, “He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in danger.” Explain what you think Confucius meant by this saying. Do you apply it to your life?
Wu wei is better described as self-less action, not action-less action as some texts call it.
For more info, see:
For a video on the science of wu wei check this out!
Taoism at work:
Read this article to see how Taoism can be used in today’s business world:
Here are some notes on Confucius:
BUS 499: Business Administration Capstone:
“Business-Level Strategy” Please respond to the following:
- From the first e-Activity, assess your satisfaction with the company you researched and make recommendations about how that company could modify its business-level strategy to both increase your overall level of satisfaction and to attract new customers. Provide specific examples to support your response.
- Analyze the five business-level strategies discussed in Chapter 4 to determine which strategy the company you researched most likely applies. Determine how your experience with that company might change if it switched to one of the other four strategies (your choice). Explain your rationale.
SCI 115: Introduction to Biology:
Note: The link to the article in the instructions gives an error. Please use the following link instead: https://www.genome.gov/13014330/transcriptome-fact-sheet/
Part 1: Post a Response
This week is all about our DNA and gene expression. The complete set of all DNA in a cell is called the genome. The complete set of all the mRNA in a cell is called the transcriptome. Read the following article about the transcriptome found at: https://www.genome.gov/13014330/transcriptome-fact-sheet/, then address the following:
- Explain how the transcriptome helps us to better understand the differences between cells from different types of tissues that are specialized for different functions.
- What do you think is the most interesting or significant thing about the transcriptome?
Part 2: Respond to a Peer
Read a post by one of your peers and respond, making sure to extend the conversation by asking questions, offering rich ideas, or sharing personal connections.
For guidance, view this short video: