Case Study 1: The Critical Need for Information Security
Due Week 2 and worth 100 points
Access the ACM Digital Library by following the steps below:
- Login to iCampus.
- From iCampus, click Research, under Campus & Library
- Scroll down to “Information Systems & Computer Science”.
- Select ACM Digital Library
- Go to https://research.strayer.edu
- Select ACM Digital Library under A-Z Databases
- Login with Strayer credentials
Download and read the following articles available in the ACM Digital Library:
M.Bernier. 2011. An overview of cyber-attack and computer network
operations simulation. Proceedings from MMS â€™11: Military Modeling &
Simulation Symposium. Found at the ACM Digital Library.
Maughan. 2010. The need for a national cybersecurity research and
development agenda. Communications of the ACM, 53(2). pp 29-31. Found at
the ACM Digital Library.
Write a four to five (4-5) page paper in which you:
- Identify at least three (3) benefits or key knowledge points that could be derived from using cyber-attack simulator systems and research, and suggest how this insight could assist in defining the needs for security within an organization.
- Analyze and determine which sector, public or private, has greater insight on the potential of cyberattacks. Justify your answer by citing at least three (3) examples.
- Suggest at least four (4) best practices that should be implemented when developing a cybersecurity strategy within a security enterprise. Then, evaluate the required roles and functions of Information Technology (IT) personnel that would be required to sustain these best practices.
- Describe the role of planning when developing a cybersecurity strategy and what key deliverables would ensure an effective implementation and transition.
- Suggest how public-private partnerships can strengthen cybersecurity efforts and effectiveness in a:
a. Corporate environment
b. Regional level
c. National level
6. Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- This course requires use of new Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different than other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow SWS or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the studentâ€™s name, the professorâ€™s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Evaluate the ethical concerns inherent in cybersecurity and how these concerns affect organizational policies.
- Describe the corollary roles of security in an enterprise.
- Describe best practices in cybersecurity.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in cybersecurity.
- Write clearly and concisely about topics associated with cybersecurity using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.
“Adapting Best Practices for Specific Solutions” Please respond to the following:
- Interpret how context, scope, and feasibility influence the development of a security process, and provide an example of a security solutions development process with your response.
- Analyze the design process for defining a customized security solution. Give your opinion as to which step in this design process is most significant.
“The Chief Information Officer and Support Staff” Please respond to the following:
- Analyze the key functions a Chief Information Officer (CIO) performs to define, develop, implement, and support ongoing security countermeasures. Determine the function that you believe is the most important in supporting the security of information.
- Determine what you believe are the three most important ways the security compliance officer supports the role of the CIO and explain why.