Application: Career Development Plan
In this Application assignment, you will demonstrate strategies for facilitating client skill development for career, educational, and life-work planning and management.
To prepare for this assignment:
- Review Chapter 8 of the course text, focusing on career development planning.
- Review Figler and Bolles’ list of 12 key skills of the career counseling (p. 239-240).
- Review the case study of Darren (Niles, Goodman, & Pope, 2002).
- Think about how you would complete this vocational/career development plan.
- Consider other steps you might take or things you might add to a vocational/career development plan for Darren.
The assignment: (1-2 pages)
- Using the Hill and O’Brien (1999) Helping Skills Model Model (embedded in the course resource â€œDarren â€“ The Case of the Unemployed Runawayâ€) describe the strategies/interventions that you would employ to support a clientâ€™s life work plan.
- Develop a client to use for this Application Assignment. Consider using the client you developed for the Week 3 Application Assignment; do NOT use â€œDarrenâ€ from the resources
- Briefly describe your client’s presenting problem.
- What activities would you engage in for Stage One? (Exploration, pp. 231â€“232). What techniques would you use to develop rapport, express empathy, and encourage your client to “tell his story?”
- For the second stage, Insight (p. 232). What areas would you focus on to gain deeper meaning and understanding of your clientâ€™s situation? How would you identify his strengths and weaknesses? What interpretations would you offer your client?
- During the action stage (p. 232), what plans would you develop, how would you evaluate them, and what follow-up activity would you do with your client?
- Include anything else that you would like to add to further develop the plan.