Leaders seek out change opportunities regularly. Innovation, critical thinking, and decision making are key to making an impact on an organization. This assignment is designed to help you look at aspects of your own clinical practice and become a change agent in your organization. Use your current or past experience to identify a change project to implement.
Step 1: Select a topic for a change project.
- Review the following resources for potential change topic or process ideas:
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement: Transforming Care at the Bedside http://www.ihi.org/engage/initiatives/completed/TCAB/Pages/default.aspx
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement: Hospital Inpatient Waste Identification Tool SEE ATTACHMENT FILE
- For process change resources: TeamSTEPPSÂ® Pocket Guide SEE ATTACHMENT FILE
Step 2: Identify the context for your change.
- Describe the setting where the change will take place. For example, clinical, insurance, home health, or public and community.
- Explain who is affected: patients, nurses, leadership, and other stakeholders in the organization.
Step 3: Review the literature to find possible solutions and evidence to address your topic.
- Research sources that guide evidence-based practice to improve outcomes related to your selected topic.
- Find a minimum of three peer-reviewed articles directly related to addressing your change topic.
Step 4: Create a draft implementation plan.
- Summarize each article to explain how the evidence you gathered will help address your change topic.
- Explain how you could use the information in the research to carry out the change in your identified setting.
Format your assignment as a 700- to 1,050-word APA formatted paper,
Paper has to meet 5 goals:
1.1 Apply leadership and other organizational theories to behaviors of the roles and functions of professional nursing.
1.2 Correlate the role of managing resources and delivering quality, cost-effective care.
1.3 Examine interpersonal and personal skills and strategies useful for addressing patient, staff, and organizational problems.
1.4 Analyze opportunities for nurses to serve as change agents.
1.5 Demonstrate ways to incorporate leadership activities into daily activities.