This assignment will provide you with the opportunity to practice influencing policy by communicating with a legislator about a current health problem. The letter should be in block format for a business letter, the letter may be more than one page. You do need to support with evidence. Cite your sources and include a reference page at the end of your letter. Follow the assignment directions and review the rubric. You can view samples for formatting a business letter on the following link: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/653/2/
In addition some helpful links on how to formulate a letter to your legislator may be found
Follow the steps below to write a letter advocating for change, go to for an example:
- Select a current health problem that is being debated at the national and/or state level (e.g., the proliferation of “pill mills”, pain clinics, etc) and state why it is of interest. Be sure to research your problem.
- Identify a legislator (state or federal) and state (OHIO: if you choose a state) why that person is the appropriate one to contact, you will show why this is right person to contact based on the supporting data you provided in your letter.
- Draft a letter to the legislator in business block format including the proper salutation.
- Introduce yourself and your reason for writing.Include the following in the body of your letter:
- Introduce yourself and your reason for writing.
- State concisely what you understand to be the current socioeconomic, political, and ethical issues surrounding the problem. You must have supporting data (include citations).
- Discuss the implications of the problem for your community, nursing or nursing practice.
- Make a clear request for action. You must have supporting data (include citations).
- Request a response.
- Include a reference page beginning on the page following the end of the letter, also include citations in the body of your letter. At least three references are required.