social and emotional development and emotional intelligence
Background: According to Hearron and Heldebrand (2009), â€œInfants come into the world endowed with the potential for growing, developing, and learningâ€ (p. 4). This human potential is impacted by the interactions and experiences that we have with certain individuals. As a result of these interactions and experiences, individuals begin to develop a sense of self, and a way of relating both socially and emotionally in the world, otherwise known as â€œemotional intelligence.â€
To Complete this Assignment:
Please review the following resources in preparation for this discussion:
- Read the Infants and Young Children Fact sheet (PDF);
- View the following videos
- Complete the emotional intelligence inventory making note of the results.
After viewing the videos and completing the emotional intelligence inventory, familiarize yourself with the Pyramid Model for Promoting the Social and Emotional Development of Infants and Young Children Fact Sheet (Links to an external site.). Using that information and the other course content please address the following:
- Discuss the role of:
- ECEC providers
- Peers in guiding the development of emotional intelligence and social and emotional skills in infants and toddlers.
- Additionally, evaluate how these individuals contribute to appropriate or inappropriate emotional and social development in infants and toddlers.
Reference: Hearron, P. & Hildebrand, V. (2009). Guiding young children. (8th ed.). Upper Saddle River: Pearson.