Whether it is realized or not, individuals have beenâ€”and continue to beâ€”affected by globalization. Globalization influences the products people purchase, the nature of jobs, and culture, among other things. As you respond to this weekâ€™s Discussion, consider both the positive and negative ways you or people you know have been affected by globalization. Are you able to buy fresh fruit in winter that was unavailable before trade expansion? Does your employer depend on exports for some of your companyâ€™s sales? Have you or a family member lost a job because it was outsourced? While people may often dwell on the negative effects of globalization, it is equally important to understand its benefits before passing judgment on international trade and other policies.
In this Discussion, you will describe how globalization has affected you personally and explain ways in which you may have benefitted or been hurt by the effects of globalization.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review this weekâ€™s Learning Resources on globalization and consider how globalization has affected you personally.
- Review the Academic Writing Expectations for 1000-Level Courses, provided in this weekâ€™s Learning Resources.
By Day 3
Post a 150- to 225-word (2- to 3-paragraph) explanation of your personal position on globalization and the policies to promote or limit it. In your explanation, do the following:
- Describe how globalization has affected you personally. Be sure to consider both positive and negative aspects, including on various aspects of your life, such as consumption, employment, and investment.
- In what ways have you benefited from globalization?
- In what ways have you or someone you know been hurt by it?
- Overall, do you consider the net effects that you have experienced from globalization to be positive or negative?
- Provide specific examples to support your position. To support your response, be sure to reference at least one properly cited scholarly source