Original Work, NO PLAGERIESM, Cite Reference, APA Format
The student is to choose an incident that occurred during the clinical day. The issue can be focused on the patient’s pathophysiology, education needs, psychosocial needs, socioeconomic conditions, or cultural/religious concerns. It can be an incident like a code blue, a procedure such as a dressing change, an interaction (positive or negative) with a family or staff member.
1. Paragraph 1: Describe the scenario/pathophysiology. I followed a charge nurse who had 4 patients on the pulmonary unit as well as she had to make the schedule for the afternoon shift. She was juggling not only her patients but she was the go to person for the unit. We had one patient who suffered from Marfans syndrome which is a genetic disorder that affects the body’s connective tissue. He also only had one lung on the right side. They surgically removed the left lung, however he did not want to discuss it at the time of why his left lung was surgically removed because he was complaining of pain that he stated was a 7 on the pain scale of 1 to 10. The nurse offered him Tylenol however he said that does not help his pain. So we contacted the doctor and he Okayed to give the patient morphine along with two Tylenol. One hour later I followed the nurse back into the patient’s rom to see how his pain was doing and to get another pain score and he was still at a 7. We did let him know he was unable to get anymore pain medication unless his doctor approved (which he did not).
2. Paragraph 2: What is the issue?
3. Paragraph 3: What does the evidence-based literature show?
4. Paragraph 4: How does the evidence-based literature relate to my position
5. This assignment is not a “diary” of events. Rather, the goal is to move away from superficial examination of interactions. Students will find the following questions helpful in framing their reflection.
Critical Incident Analysis Model
What was I trying to achieve? Keep pt comfterable
What were the consequences of this for: the patient, others, self
How was this person (or persons) feeling?
How did I know that?
How did I feel in this situation?
What would be the consequence of alternative actions for the patient, others, and myself
How do I feel now about the experience?
Can I support myself and others better as a consequence?
Has this changed my way of knowing
From Johns, C. (1995). Framing learning through reflection with Carper’s fundamental ways of knowing in nursing. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 22 (2), 226-34.
Reflection Grading Rubric
Goals of care
|Basic description of general care of the patient||Description includes a few details relevant to nursing care||Description includes relevant details regarding consequences, incongruences, previous experience, and nursing care provided by the student nurse.|
|Issue identified||Issue not relevant to patient or student nurse||Issue relevant to patient or student nurse||Issue relevant to both patient and student nurse|
|Evidence Based Literature||NO evidence supporting
|ONE evidence supporting articles/text||TWO or more evidence supporting articles/text|
|Relation of evidence to student nurse||Evidence does not support issue, or is not from source related to nursing practice.||Evidence supports issue in a superficial manner, is from a source related to nursing practice.||Evidence supports issue in a deep manner that is from a nursing perspective, is from a source related to nursing practice.|
|Student ability to recognize areas impacted:
|Student able to identify one area that issue and evidence impacted in his/her nursing practice.||Student able to identify two areas that issue and evidence impacted in his/her nursing practice.||Student able to identify three or more areas that issue and evidence impacted in his/her nursing practice.|
|APA* (this category is worth more points)||Fair grammar, misspelled words, APA not followed, Hard to follow, disorganized.
|No grammar errors or misspelled words.
Flow impeded, not organized.
|No grammar errors or misspelled words.
Good flow, easy to follow.
|Total possible points: Content ( 15 ) + APA ( 5 ) = 20 points|
Students must achieve a score of 15 or higher by final reflection in order to pass this assignment for fulfillment of course objectives.