Identify an organization that you are familiar with. Answer the following questions:
- Who is responsible for ODA?
- Of the various ODA methods discussed, which ones did they demonstrate supporting?
- Was learning to use the IT systems to support critical organizational processes demonstrated?
- Do you think they are aware of factors that inhibit learning of processes? If so, what are they doing to address it? If not, what would you recommend to address these shortfalls?
Module 3 – Background
Learning Organizational Processes
- Blau, G., Andersson, L., Davis, K., Daymont, T, Hochner, A., Koziara, K. Portwood, J., and Holladay, B. (2008). The relation between employee organizational and professional development activities. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 72(1): 123-142. Focus on Paragraphs 1.1 and 2.2.1 and 2.2.2.
- Ashforth, B., & Mael, F. 1989. Social identity theory and the organization. Academy of Management Review, 14(1): 20-39. Focus on the material starting on page 24 and on.
- Clifford, J., and Thorpe, S. (2007). More ways than one… exploring the use of different learning methods in organizations. Industrial and Commercial Training, 39(5): 267. Focus on the four broad learning categories starting at the bottom of page 268.
- Ng, T. W. H., Butts, M. M., Vandenberg, R. J., DeJoy, D. M., and Wilson, M. G., (2006). Effects of management communication, opportunity for learning, and work schedule flexibility. Read Paragraph 2.2.
- Orpen, C., (1997). The effects of formal mentoring on employee work motivation, organizational commitment and job performance. The Learning Organization, 4(2): 53. Focus on the introduction.
- Alderfer, C. P., & Smith, K. (1982). Studying intergroup relations embedded in organizations. Administrative Science Quarterly, 27(1), 35-65. Read the section titled â€œGroups in Organizationsâ€ on page 38 and stop at the end of the five intergroup relations phenomena at the top of page 40.