Religion permeates society and daily life and, for many, it requires special considerations in the workplace. In organizations with a diverse workforce, employees may identify themselves as Christian, Jewish, Muslim, or members of other religions. Increased religious diversity in the workplace has led to a doubling in the number of religious discrimination claims over the past decade. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of l964 prohibits employersâ€”in matters of hiring, firing, and other terms and conditions of employmentâ€”from discriminating against individuals because of their religion.
- For this assignment, you are to take the role of a leader in an organization. This may be an organization with which you are affiliated (as an employee, student, or volunteer, for example); or, if you do not have an affiliation with an organization, you may select a well-known company operating in the United States. Describe the organization and familiarize yourself with it so that you can write your responses based on the organizationâ€™s policies.
- Prepare a policy brief that clearly defines how the organization will accommodate requests for religious holiday leave. Read this fact sheet from the EEOC in preparation for your assignment: EEOC (2010) Facts about religious discrimination. (Links to an external site.)
- Include the following in your policy brief:
- Describe â€œreligionâ€ as defined by the EEOC and Title VII.
- Describe the legal requirement to accommodate requests for religious holidays, and give examples of these types of requests.
- Explain the obligations on the part of the employer and employee regarding notification of religious leave.
- Explain how the policy will be communicated to all employees.
- Articulate the specific policy language you wish to have approved by senior and executive leadership.
- Offer an explanation of how employees and leaders will communicate and resolve scheduling conflicts that may arise as a result of multiple requests for leave.
- Explain how you will communicate this policy to your employees.
- Your well-written paper should be 3-4 pages in length, not including the required title and references pages.
- Include two scholarly references (not assigned for this module) that support your policy statement.