Attached is two files for the assignment one is a paper the other is to have access to a virtual machine.There is a website on the virtual machine paper where you download a VM is need be.
Windows Server Deployment Proposal
Each student will create a detailed, organized, unified technical solution given the scenario described below. The submission will be in a written format, with at least one diagram, and may include additional diagrams, charts or tables. The assignment is meant for students to enhance their mastery of the material and to provide a creative and realistic way in which to apply knowledge from this course.
â€œWe Make Windowsâ€, Inc. (referred to as â€œWMWâ€) has hired you as an IT consultant for implementing their Windows network infrastructure. WMW is a new advertising firm, and they are currently hiring staff, establishing two locations, and have a need to get their internal IT services configured. They do not yet have an IT staff, but when they do, the IT staff will take over all aspects of IT administration. You are required to supply WMW with a solution which describes the implementation and configuration of their core IT services. Cost is not a significant concern â€“ WMW wishes to implement the â€œrightâ€ solution to fit their needs now and for the next 2-3 years.
There are several details about WMW which will have an impact on your choices:
- WMW will start with 90 employees, in the following departments:
- Networking equipment is already in place for both sites. A secure tunnel (using IPSec) will be established between the two sites so that inter-site traffic will be securely tunneled over the Internet. You may make whatever other assumptions you wish about intra-and inter-site connectivity.
- Security mechanisms (e.g., firewalls, intrusion detection) will be handled separately, and there is no need to describe them.
- Some departments will want their data to remain private from other departments (e.g., Finances personnel will not want Production staff to see the companyâ€™s financial details). Your team may make assumptions about how data should be shared or kept private.
- Assumptions can be made regarding any information not included here; all assumptions should be identified, however.
oExecutives (9 employees) â€“ manage and run the company
oAccounts and Sales Department (15 employees) â€“ perform market research and maintain accounts
oCreative, Media and Production Department (49 employees) â€“ advertising
oHuman Resources and Finances (12 employees) â€“ perform HR and financial duties
oIT (5 employees) â€“ manage IT for the company
oWMW will have two sites, one in Los Angeles and one in New York. Most staff will be located in LA, with at least 1 person from each of the departments above located in NY.
Topics to Cover
Your document should cover the content presented in the course. The outline below contains recommended points to cover. You are free to add other related information.
Describe the technical and business reasons for each choice, citing other resources as appropriate.
The Windows Server 2016 operating system should be used for all aspects of the solution.
The topics include:
New Features of Windows Server 2016
- Describe new features of Windows Server 2016 that WMW can take advantages of.
- How many total servers are needed? Which roles will be combined?
- What edition of Windows will be used for each server (e.g., Standard, Datacenter)?
- Will Server Core be used on any servers?
- Where are each of the servers located (which of the two sites)?
- How will the servers be deployed? Manual or automated?
Deployment and Server Editions
- Number of AD domains?
- Will there be any Read-Only Domain Controllers?
- How will the second site factor into domain controller placement? How will AD sites be configured?
- How will AD organizational units be organized (considering how group policy will be used and users will be organized)?
DNS and DHCP
- DHCP scope design (e.g., lease times, number of scopes, address range)
- Will a form of DHCP fault tolerance be implemented?
- Will DHCP reservations be used for servers?
- DNS namespace design (e.g., domain name(s) chosen, split DNS for Internet/intranet, zones)
- How will DNS be handled for the second site?
- How will applications be deployed? If using Group Policy, what are the details on how Group Policy will be used to deploy the software? Which software applications will likely be needed?
- What shares might be needed?
- File Permissions
File and Printer Sharing
There are specific requirements for the assignment: The final submission should contain at least 6 pagesâ€™ worth of text written by the student (not counting title page, images, diagrams, tables, or quotations), but may be longer, not to exceed approximately 10 pagesâ€™ worth of student-supplied text. (With the required diagram, and other images, title page, etc., the final submission may end up being more than 10 pages in length.) It must be double-spaced, have 1-inch margins, and use 12-point Times New Roman or 10-point Arial/Helvetica font. A title page is required; APA format for the title page is optional.
- At least one diagram must be included (not counted towards the minimum length described above); this could be a diagram describing Active Directory components, DHCP/DNS design, file share hierarchy, or anything else that is worth displaying graphically to enhance the readerâ€™s understanding of the proposal. Additional diagrams, images, or tables are welcome.
- The submission must cover all of the 6 major topics outlined above. Each choice should be explained with technical and business reasoning. The solution should be reasonably detailed. Additional topics may be covered as desired.
- The structure of the final submission is flexible. There is no specific format required, although it should be organized logically and represent a single, unified solution. It is likely that the format will include separate sections for each of the 6 topics required, as well as a summary.
- At least two non-textbook, non-LabSim, non-Wikipedia reference is required; preferably, this would be a â€œbest practiceâ€ guide or similar content from Microsoft or an experienced provider of Microsoft solutions.
- Be sure to properly quote or cite any sources used. APA format is required for in-text citations and the list of works cited at the end. It is expected that you are already familiar with UMUC’s “Policy on Academic Dishonesty and Plagiarism.” It is available in the Academic Policies section of the Syllabus; there are also links in the Webliography. In its simplest form, if you are using text from a source, you must cite and/or quote it. If plagiarism is found, then there will be a penalty to the grade.
Virtual Install Option for CMIT 369
Very important notice: If you need any technical help with the paper, for example getting VMware installed or downloading an ISO, please contact the UMUC lab assistants at email@example.com
Many people prefer to have hands-on experience installing and setting up servers in order to ensure that they understand the concepts. For this project you will download VMware Player, Virtual Box, or use Hyper â€“v to build a Windows Server 2016 virtual machine. You may also use Azure, Microsoftâ€™s cloud solution. If you use Azure, please destroy the VM at the end of the project so you are not charged.
Company â€œTech2muchâ€ recently experienced a network intrusion and, unfortunately, some of their data was stolen. There was also critical data that was destroyed and they were not able to recover it from backup. Company â€œTech2muchâ€ was using a managed service provider to do there IT infrastructure. The executive committee has decided that they no longer want to use managed services and they will move forward with an in-house IT team. Your UMUC resume has landed you as one of the top three candidates for the position. However, the other two people in contention for this position are also UMUC alumni. The company wants to move forward with a network administrator who has knowledge of Windows Server 2012 and/or 2016, Active Directory, PowerShell, and the Windows command line. They have set up a test environment where all three of you will be tested. They aren’t just looking for someone who can get the server and Active Directory installed correctly (although that is a critical component). They need someone who can go through the steps and explain what they’re doing so that way they will be able to help some of the junior staff. In this assignment you will follow the guidelines so you can show the â€œTech2muchâ€ company that you are the most qualified candidate for the position. Good luck and I hope you land the job!
Topics to Cover
Consider the following in completing this assignment (if you choose not to use Microsoft Azure):
- You need administrative rights on your computer)
- You need sufficient disk space (at least 30 GB free)
- You need a decent amount of memory (at least 8 GB of RAM)
In week 1, you were required to email your instructor and ask for access for VMware Workstation and Windows Server OnTheHub site. If you did not, you may still use:
- Oracle Virtual Box (free)
- VMware Player (free)
- Hyper-V (available on Windows 8.1 and 10 (not Windows 7) -free
- Azure (If you use Azure, please destroy the VM at the end of the project so you are not charged.)
- You can get an evaluation copy of Windows 2016 server here:
After the install is complete, name the computer yourfirstname-PC, for example JOHN-PC and take a screenshot of the computer name.
Install Active Directory and name the domain yourname.com, for example: JOHN.COM.
As an option, you can install active directory through PowerShell. Just take screenshots and add sufficient descriptions. You should label each screenshot. For example, Figure 1.1 Installing Active Directory.Once installed, you should conduct appropriate post-installation tasks. These include:
- Use PowerShell to demonstrate some commands (If you installed Active Directory using PowerShell, then you have already met the requirement for step 1).
- Use the Windows Command Prompt to demonstrate some of the Windows commands, for example â€˜net user.â€™
- Install Internet Information Service (IIS) and set up a website that says your name on the page. Browse to 127.0.0.1 and demonstrate the successful connection to the yourname site.
- Install Chrome and Firefox on your Windows Server VM.
Once youâ€™ve completed these tasks, write a report that documents the steps you followed in installing the Windows Server, detailing which version you installed as well as the post-installation steps you completed. Provide screens shots for each command (more than 1 screenshot many be needed to demonstrate some of the commands).For screenshots, you can use the snipping tool in Windows. Be sure to include a comprehensive summary, references, and a cover page for your report.
This is a great opportunity for you to learn and have fun doing so!