Assignment 1: Implications of Health Economic Concepts for Healthcare
Due Week 4 and worth 200 points
Select at least five (5) economic concepts covered in the first four weeksâ€™ readings, and discuss the primary manner in which these concepts impact the world of health care economics. Some examples of selected concepts are health demand and supply, elasticity, resources, health measures, and costs.
Write a four to six (4-6) page paper in which you:
- Assess the value of healthcare professionals and decision makers understanding the discipline of health economics.
- Defend or critique the importance of considering the complex nature of health and healthcare when examining the economic principles related to healthcare delivery.
- Analyze the primary potential benefits of learning about health economics related to government involvement in healthcare economics, financing, and delivery.
- Analyze the main potential benefits of learning about health economics related to private sector government involvement in healthcare economics, financing, and delivery.
- Use at least five (5) current references. Three of these references must be from current peer-reviewed sources to support and substantiate your comments and perspectives.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the studentâ€™s name, the professorâ€™s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Explain how selected economic principles apply to the health care market and the provisions of health care services.
- Analyze the factors that are influencing the demand and supply of health care services in the U.S.
- Assess current economic trends that influence the cost, quality, and access to care.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in health economics.
- Write clearly and concisely about health economics using proper writing mechanics.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic / organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the following rubric.